Tuesday 13 August 2013

Packing for China 2013

I've started to pack for China. It seems I've had a stroke of good luck in that my airline ticket bought online via  www.airexpress.co.uk  gives me 30 kilos of checked in baggage as oppose to the 20 kilo the airline advertise. I have checked this with the agent and have had an email from them confirming it, I will be ringing Cathay Pacific tomorrow to double check. This is simply because if I end up 10 kilos overweight I'll be charged $600 excess baggage!

Anyway the 30 kilos gives me a bit more scope than the 20 kilos I had to pack last time. In
2011 this was pretty much my final packing list:
Running shoes
Black shoes for work
Running shorts - Lycra
Running shirt - long sleeves
Fred  Perry Polo Shirt
Waxed type Jacket
Black and White Kefeya Scarf
Casual Rugby style shirts x 2 - 1long sleeve and 1 short sleeve
Track suit bottoms  - new and thick and warm x1
University of Plymouth Hoodie - parting gift from my job - I asked for it, and they are warm and good quality
Large Bath sheet - smaller ones can be purchased in China but not bath sheets
1 pair black jeans
1 pair Khaki Chinos
4 cotton shirts -  for work etc
2 x thermal vests and 2 x thermal long johns - I'm told that there is no heating in Chinese schools
6 pairs underpants (M&S of course)
10 pairs of socks (1 pair a month huh?)
1 woolly hat (courtesy of Matilda, she bought it in Marrakesh)
1 woolly bobble hat
1 pair thick socks
Running trousers (Lycra)

That's it in terms of clothes

Also in the suitcase is:

A bag with 6 underarm deodorants - reduced from 10 - apparently you cant get deodorant in China! Plus 5 small bottles of shaving oil. Various prescription medicines, 3 Ventolin and 3 of the steroid puffers.  3 packs of Imodium (just in case!), about 12 of my migraine drugs (but hopefully will not need) cliploc bags x 2 boxes for teacher in china. 2 x large bars of chocolate requested by teacher in china. Swiss Army penknife.

At the moment my bag is pushing about 23 kilos and is looking pretty full with all this stuff (not including the dog, she's going on her own flight, i'm couriering her stuff)


So in no particular order here we go again:

Running shoes
Black shoes for work
Running shorts - Lycra
Running shirt - long sleeves
Polo Shirt x 2
Waxed type Jacket
Black and White Kefeya Scarf
Yellow Indian Scarf
Casual Rugby style shirts x 2 - 1long sleeve and 1 short sleeve
Track suit bottoms  - new and thick and warm x1
Bath towel
2 x blue jeans
7 cotton shirts -  for work etc 5 x long sleeve formal 2 x short sleeve casual
2 x thermal vests and 2 x thermal long johns - there is no heating in Chinese schools
6 pairs underpants 
7 pairs of socks 
2 x ankle socks for running
1 woolly hat 
1 woolly bobble hat
2 x pair thick socks
Running trousers (Lycra)
8 ties
Lumberjack style hat (bought in china last time)
1 x pair of gloves
1 x neck scarf
Long sleeve top
Polo neck top - long sleeve
White England Nike rugby top
Linen Suit
Trousers (work)
Grey work jacket
Micro fleece
Swimming shorts
Hiking boots


That's it in terms of clothes

Also in the suitcase is - to be listed when I'm sure I've got what I need. So that's a first attempt at getting what I think I need/want. Theres a couple of other items I could take if I want, but I have to decide do I really want them as, after all, I will have to bring most of this back and I may not get 30 kilos of baggage allowance next time. 

I've still got 7 kilos in my backpack and a computer case to go yet as well and I more week top sort it out as me and snooks are off on the 20th August. 


No comments:

Post a Comment